Martin

Thursday 1 March 2012

Acivity 6 - Marco

Storytelling in my organization

My story was happened in an academic library. One day, I went to my office as usual and I sat on my seat. Suddenly, an Indian woman came into office and she asked me why I sit in her seat. I had no idea what she was talking about and told her to ask supervisor. Then, the supervisor came to tell me that the woman was back to work after from holiday.
In my opinion, supervisor should tell me before she back. The reason is that the woman was angry when she was seeing me engaging her seat. I was frightened. She assumed me instead of her position. It caused misunderstanding between staffs. Therefore, communication between staffs and heads are important. From this case we can see, lack of communication brings a lot of problem. It would increase the changes of misunderstanding of each others. For level staffs, they need to have good communication for team-working. As library have many huge size projects, staffs need to working together for it. If staffs lack of communication, it would cause many problems, such as doing wrong things etc. For heads and staffs, good communication could not only help heads assign works to staffs clearly, but also build up and improve their relationship. They could share their different views and problems on works. Heads could know what front line staffs are facing and give them appropriate support. It could avoid problems happened on works. Indirectly, it improves the efficiency of works.

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you in this matter. The programme in charge by me is quite complex and not clear in the communication matter. It is a master programme and cooperate with an oversea university. All our enrollment forms need to scan and mail it to the oversea programme director to decide the student is accept or not. Most of the time our communication is through email only. An misunderstanding is easily occur. For example, our culture are different, they will not understand the style of how we work. They always require us to send them the official transcripts of the students immediately, however, we have explained on this matter a few time that the transcripts are not yet ready, they still do not understand and keep on sending emails to us regards their request.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A well supervisor can't englect colleagues' feeling like that. Although the sitting place may not be the main concern in your office, it will affect the working atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with you Marco. Communication is one of the most important element in a good working environment. Hope your colleague learn it and pay hard on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Marco
    Thanks for sharing your experience,
    I totally agree with you that " good communication could not only help heads assign works to staffs clearly, but also build up and improve their relationship
    "
    Actually, it is important for the organization to take a good management of this kind of problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marco. It seems a little matter but it reveals the importance of communication.
    Edward (MITEChange)

    ReplyDelete